Thursday, December 10, 2015

Purpose

Over this last month, I've been advocating for the abolition of modern slavery, for the end of human trafficking. I've worn a dress for the past 10 days as a part of a creative advocacy and fundraising program called Dressember, which raises money for two international organizations who work hards-on to end the injustices of our world. This is my second year as a Dressember advocate.
But this year, something feels a little different. As a "veteran", my message isn't really new and exciting or special among my friends--it's the same as last year after all. While a multitude of people supported me last year, the money is running on the shorter side so far--not that I'm complaining, just being real. This year I've also started college, which means I don't see the same people every day, which means I don't get as many questions or opportunities to speak about human trafficking. I'll admit that this has been discouraging, but last year I felt like I was on the track to change the world, and this year I've battled the feeling that all my work is in vain.
However, I remind myself that this isn't about me. It's about the survivors and victims of human trafficking. It's about what God has called me to do. It's about everything except me.
Last year, it was easy to follow God's call on my life to pursue ending human trafficking. Not only was it super fulfilling and impactful, but I also got some attention from it, some encouragement, something tangible that told me that I was somehow doing the right thing. But this year, it has been difficult, and I'm battling discouragement.
Luckily, this isn't the end of my post, because God is a God who works in encouraging times and in discouraging times. My impact and my passion are not limited by my feelings.
And this is where this blog begins. Over the past few weeks I've been thinking about Dressember, about clothes, and about slaves. I've been learning a lot about the global economy and inequality and trauma, and I've been thinking about my part in slavery. I don't know when it clicked, but I realized that even though it's awesome to advocate for slaves through Dressember, it's kinda hypocritical to do so wearing dresses made by slaves. I was convicted. So I got to thinking, and researching, and praying, and I came to the conclusion that I have to rid my life of products made my slaves. I have to completely take my share of the economy and place it in the hands of businesses that do not use trafficked laborers. My money is my support. I cannot support trafficking. I cannot support slavery. I cannot support injustice. I must purge it all.
But here's the thing--it's hard. And I don't know where to start. And I don't know what to do. And that's why I created this blog. I don't know where it'll go, I don't know who it'll reach. But I do know that through this journey of ridding myself of slave-made products, I'm following the calling that God has placed on my life. I hope that somehow in someway this blog will be a resource for others who share the same conviction.
As I take on this project of un-slaving my wardrobe and possessions, I plan on writing about what I'm doing. I plan on giving tips and advice about how you can do it too. I'll give more explanations about how this matters and what it does as time goes on.
But for now, here's my purpose: to contribute to the end of human trafficking but discontinuing my economic support of companies who use it.
So Help Me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment